Commercial Road, a structure of red brick, was founded and endowed in 1863 by the Widow of Mr. Leonard Johnson, of Hereford, a builder and the City Surveyor, and for many years a member of the Hereford Town Council. It consists of six dwellings, reserved for those Widows whose Husbands died in Price's, Williams or Giles's hospitals in this City. Each inmate receives 5s per week.
St Ethelbert's Hospital
In Castle Street, founded in the 13th century, is a substantial building of stone in the Gothic Style, and was erected in the reign of Henry III, principally by the sale of indulgences, which were granted by the Bishops of Hereford, Coventry, Salisbury and Ely, to those who contributed towards it. The building consists of ten houses, each having two rooms with a garden. The revenues of this hospital, derived from leasehold property and controlled by the Dean and Chapter of Hereford, are applied to the maintenance of ten aged and poor Women. The leases are now (1900) being allowed to run out.
The Trinity (Kerry's) Hospital
Commercial Street, was founded in 1607, for three unmarried men and thirteen poor Widows, who form a body corporate by the name of "The Governor and Poor of the Trinity Hospital in the City of Hereford". The building was erected in 1824, at a cost of £881 12s 8d part of which was obtained by Public Subscription, £100 being given by the Corporation of the City, and a legacy of Thomas Russell esq. late Town Clerk, which amounted to the sum of £449 5s, free of duty. The weekly payment to inmates is 10s besides some small payments called "Augmentation Money", amounting to £8 15s yearly, and an allowance of coal and some clothing in the winter.
St. Giles Hospital
St Owen Street, was erected for five poor Men. Its origin is unknown, but it is supposed to have been founded in the 13th century as a house of Grey Friars. The present edifice was built in the year 1770 by public subscription, and consists of five houses, each having a garden . There are at present two inmates receiving 12s each a week, and three receiving 10s each.
St Owen Street, founded in 1601, for six poor Men, adjoins St Giles Hospital. This hospital consists of six houses, erected in 1675, and re built in 1893 at a cost of about £720, to each of which is attached an excellent garden. The appointments of this charity are in the hands of the Municipal Charity Trustees.
Otherwise known as Sick Mens Hospital, above Eign, was originally for six poor Women, but two other houses were added and there are now 8 inmates, each of whom receives about 6s weekly.
Widemarsh Street, founded in 1695, is for four poor persons, each of whom receive 10s per quarter.
Above Eign, founded in 1665, by Mr. William Price, Alderman of London, is for twelve aged Men, freemen of the City being preferred. The buildings are of brick, and consist of a long range of houses, with a central gable, and projecting wings. At the east end is the Chapel, a plain square room, with a flat ceiling apparently of contemporary date.
White Cross Road, for six poor Widows, was founded and endowed by Mrs Jane Shelley in 1609, who directed that they should bear the name of "Lingens" almshouses. They were re built in 1801 and again in 1849. Each inmate receives £5 yearly.
12 March, 2008 by Rossbret Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.
If you have any information or photographs that you can add to this site, please email email@example.com
Page updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret
Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.