Asylums in County Durham
The County Lunatic Asylum
Located at Winterton, about one mile north from Sedgefield, was erected in 1858, and is a structure of red brick with white brick dressings, from designs by Mr. John Howison, architect of Durham. In 1879 it was much enlarged, and in 1889 a wing was built from the designs of Mr. William Crozier, architect. It now consists of two separate blocks, available for 1,620 inmates, and in the centre is a chapel, an edifice of brick, erected in 1884 at a cost of £3,800, and seating 700 persons. The building is supplied with water from works established in 1873 at Meggie's Well, in Bishop Middleham, and lighted with electric light and gas from works in the grounds. Attached are about 350 acres of land, on which the patients are employed, and there is a cemetery of two acres, formed in 1891 and consecrated, and having a mortuary Chapel.
|Asylum Staff 1920|
|William St John Skeen||Medical Superintendent|
|Rev. Herbert George Croft||Chaplain|
|Rev. J. P. Sheehan||Catholic Chaplain|
|James Shield Thomson||Business Manager|
|Alfred Oxnard Smith||Clerk to Visitors|
|Richard Lowes||Clerk and Steward to Asylum|
|Miss Annie E. Jones||Matron|
Gateshead Borough Asylum
Later called St Mary's Hospital, Stannington.
Durham County Record Office
Telephone: 0191 383 3253
Durham University Library
Gateshead Central Library
Tyne and Wear Archives Service
Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 2001. All rights reserved.