Blackburn question of site for lunatic asylum
At the adjourned annual county sessions at Lancaster, the Finance Commitee have been empowered to negotiate for the purchase of a site for a new lunatic asylum, and to secure land for the purpose to an extent exceeding immediate wants, in the vicinity of Blackburn, Chorley, or Preston.
Source: The Builder 1868 Vol XXVI 19th September 1868
Submitted by Alan Longbottom
Ashworth Hospital (Maghull Homes)
Link to Ashworth Hospital news - The Guardian
Ashworth Hospital first opened in 1878, as Maghull Homes, a convalescent home for Children from Liverpool workhouses. In 1914 the estate was sold to the Lunacy Board of Control, but was used as a Military Hospital during the First World War, when it became known as Military Red Cross Hospital, Moss Side. Following the war it became the Ministry of Pensions Hospital for Soldiers. The building known as Moss Side became a Special Hospital in 1933. It was merged with Park Lane Hospital, also located on the same site, in 1989, and became known as Ashworth Hospital.
ASHWORTH. Record Offices
Maghull has always been in the forefront of treating those less fortunate members of society. Local hospitals have always been known for their pioneering work in medical fields. Moss Side, for instance, was first opened to treat soldiers suffering from shell shock in the 1st WW, while Park Lane specialized in the treatment of smallpox and later became a sanatorium for sufferers of pulmonary
Moss Side and Park Lane eventually became Ashworth and it's current use can be traced back to the 1930`s when 100 patients were treated transferred from Rampton, due to overcrowding.
Maghull Homes for the treatment of sufferers from epilepsy were founded in 1888. It was a pioneering venture by a group of Liverpool philanthropists to overcome the public ridicule and social ostracism which came with this
affliction. A number of buildings were either adapted or built over the years, including the original Manor House, Chapel House Farm and the Harrison and Bartlett homes.
These days the work is administered by the Parkhaven Trust.
All information extracted from Millenium Matters. A joint publication issued to every household in Maghull and Lydiate by the Millenium Christian Projects in these parishes.
With grateful thanks to Charles Lyon for sending this information.
Greater Manchester Record Office
56, Marshall Street
Lancashire Record Office
Tel: 01772 54868
Ormskirk Library Headquarter
143, Corporation Street
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret