The County Pauper Lunatic Asylum
At Cottingwood, Morpeth, stands on an elevated spot, and is a large building of red brick with stone dressings, erected at a cost of £82,000, and was opened on the 16th March 1859. A Chapel was built in 1865, and extensive additions were made from 1885 to 1889, at a cost of £32,000, including two new wings and a dining room. A house for the Steward was also erected at a cost of £923, and in 1892 two wings were added to the old Infirmary, at a cost of £5,000. The estate comprises an area of 99 acres, including the land on which the buildings stand, the remainder being appropriated as pleasure and kitchen gardens and farming lands. Some of the patients are employed on the land and others at the various trades. In August 1893, the number of patients was 600.
The Home for Incurables
At Spital Tongues, opened August 3rd, 1893, is a structure of brick with stone dressings in a plain Italian style, from designs by Mr. Edward Shrewbrooks, architect, and in plan takes somewhat the shape of the letter E. It comprises a main block, with wings or pavilions at either end, and in the centre another projecting block containing a dining hall and kitchen. The ground falling slightly eastwards the east wing is raised upon a terrace 10 feet in height, inclosed by a balustraded wall, and thus forms an agreeable promenade. The principal entrance, in the centre of the main block, forms a porch, and has a moulded stone archway, surmounted by the City Arms, and leads to an entrance hall communicating with the main corridor, which is 195 feet long and 9 feet in width. On this floor is the committee room and library, dispensary, medical and other officers rooms, Mens and Womens work and day rooms, and other apartments and offices. On the first floor is a similar corridor, containing wards or dormitories, Matrons and Nurses rooms. On the upper floor are bedrooms for servants. The dining hall is 36 by 24 feet and 13 feet in height, and it also serves for concerts and entertainments. The wings or pavilions each contain two wards 38 by 24 feet, for 10 beds. The east wing being for Women and the west wing for Men. There is also a separate block for cases of cancer, 92 feet long and two storey's high providing for 20 beds disposed in two wards, with other necessary rooms. In rear of the building is a spacious laundry, very completely arranged and fitted, and a mortuary.
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret