Orphanages in the County of Worcester
Royal Albert Orphanage
Located in Henwick Road, St John's, Worcester. The Royal Albert Orphan Asylum
.for the County and City of Worcester is a large edifice of brick in the gothic
style, by designs of Mr. W. Watkins, of Lincoln, it was erected in 1868-69 at a
cost of £4,120 for the reception of 38 girls and 38 boys. In 1885 a new wing,
called the "Wheeler" wing was added to the south side of the building;
there is now room for 50 boys and 40 girls. The grounds of 15 acres are
cultivated by the boys.
Frank Everill, Secretary. Offices 59 Foregate Street.
Thomas Charles Richens, Master
Mrs Richens, Mistress.
Kelly's Directory 1896
David Whitehead - Master
Mrs Whitehead - Mistress
G. W. Bull - Secretary.
Offices - 9, Foregate Street, Worcester.
Kelly's Directory 1921
Old Swinford Hospital (Blue Coat)
Hagley Road, founded by Thomas Foley esq. in 1667 and enlarged in 1884 by the addition of a new wing. 160 boys are maintained, clothed and educated and are subsequently appreticed to various trades for seven years.
Patron; Lord Foley.
Head Master; William John Maybury.
Surgeon; Evan Lewis Hickey M.D.Durh.
Matron; Miss F. Hutson.
Worcester Orphan Asylum - competition
The competition for this building, the advertisement of which appeared in The Builder of August 17th 1867, has resulted in the selection of a design, the joint production of Mr. William Watkins of Lincoln, and Mr. S Dutton Walker, of Nottingham. There were 23 competitors. As regards external treatment, economy being a great consideration, little stonework has been introduced, but the effect has been sought,by means of a broken skyline, and by the introduction of Staffordshire blue brick bands or strings, character being given to the building by the adoption of the Early Gothic style. The building is designed to accommodate 25 girls, and 25 boys, with arrangements for extension, so as to conveniently double that number when required. The material chosen is red brick and Bath stone. The estimated cost is £4,000.
The Builder 1868 Vol XXVI 14th March 1868 p.190
Submitted by Alan Longbottom
New Orphan Asylum at Upper Henwick Worcs.
The new Orphan Asylum at Upper Henwick, which the friends and supporters of that institution were enabled to erect chiefly through the munificence of Mr. T. Padmore, late M.P. for this city, who presented £4,000 to the funds, is now nearly completed. A site was secured on a large piece of elevated ground near the Henwick railway station, and the building has so far progressed as to be now receiving its roof. The architects are Messrs Watkin of Lincoln, and Walker of Nottingham, builders and contractors are Messrs Slim & Vickers of Nottingham. Materials are brick, with Bath stone facings, style of mixed Gothic. The front facade, which faces Henwick Road, has three projecting bays, with gabled tops, the central bay resting on an arcade forming the porch. Two stone circular columns support the front of the porch, and the back rests on strong carved corbels inserted in the wall. These columns which are of red Mansfield stone, have capitals carved by Mr. Legge, representing stiff conventional foliage and male and female heads, with the dog-tooth moulding; the capitals, ribs in centre of the columns, and bases are of Bath stone. Above the porch is a semi-octagonal apartment, forming part of the central projecting bay, the two side bays before named being flat. The windows are square-headed with mullions and transoms the dormers and bottom windows in front having canted heads. The building has three stories in front and two behind. The roof is steeply pitched and slated. The building is divided into two equal parts by a central passage or corridor leading straight from the porch to the dining room. The apartments on the right will be entirely appropriated to the girls, and those on the left to the boys. Two corridors, running at right angles with the central passage, divide each compartment or wing of the building. The larder is an octagonal building in the centre of the area, and is approached by a covered way. The dining room is 20 ft wide by 40 ft long, and has a doorway leading to the girls' wing and another to the boys'; and a third to the central passage communicating with the front porch. In each wing of the building are school and class rooms. The plan of both wings is exactly alike. The upper stories are occupied with dormitories, baths etc. The boundary-wall runs close at the back of the building, and at the front and sides will be gardens. The whole will cost some £5,000.
The Builder 1869 Vol XXVII pp017 2nd January 1869
Submitted by Alan Longbottom.
Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.
If you have any information or photographs that you can add to this site, please email firstname.lastname@example.org