Ampthill Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Ampthill Union was declared on 17th March 1835 and consisted of the parishes of Ampthill, Clophill, Cranfield, Flitton, Flitwick, Gravenhurst, Haynes, Higham Gobion, Houghton Conquest, Lidlington, Marston Moretaine, Moulden, Millbrook, Pulloxhill, Shillington, Silsoe, Steppingley and Westoning. The parishes of Aspley Guise, Aspley Heath, Battlesden, Eversholt, Harlington, Holcot, Husborne Crawley, Milton Bryan, Potsgrove, Ridgmont, Salford, Tingrith, Toddington and Woburn were added in 1899.
The population of the Union in 1891 was 15,020, area 43,874 acres and the rateable value in 1893 was £78,721.
Ampthill Union Workhouse was erected 1835-1836 from designs by James Clephan, architect, and occupied a commanding position at the entrance to the Town from the railway station. It consisted of several blocks of buildings in red brick and in 1894 could accommodate 469 inmates.
|Union Officers 1894|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||John Wright|
|Treasurer of the Union||James Hock Tuke|
|Superintendent Registrar||John Wright|
|Workhouse Master||Charles Sharland|
|Workhouse Matron||Miss Hannah Austin|
|Workhouse Chaplain||Rev. Frederick Lloyd Sharpin|
|Medical Officer||Henry Frederick Holland|
|Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.|
|Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.|
Bedfordshire Record Office
Telephone:- 01234 228833/228777
Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 2002-2002. All rights reserved.