Bedford Poor Law Union and Workhouse
The Board of Guardians met alternate Saturdays at 11am at the Workhouse. The population of the Union in 1891 was 51,452, area 96,654 acres and rateable value in 1894 £260,323.
The Union House formerly the House of Industry, on the Kimbolton Road was erected 1796 by John Wing, architect. The large brick building with Chapel and Schoolrooms was let upon perpetual lease to the Guardians of the poor in 1835. It could accommodate 400 inmates, but average number around 200 inmates.
|Union Officers 1894|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||Mark Sharman|
|Collector to the Guardians||Mark Sharman|
|Superintendent Registrar||Henry Tebbs|
|Workhouse Master||George Croxton Walker|
|Workhouse Matron||Mrs Walker|
|Chaplain||Rev. Alfred Hawkins Jones|
|Medical Officer||Charles Edward Prior|
|Assistant Schoolmistress||Miss M.P. Walton|
Bedfordshire Record Office
Telephone:- 01234 228833/228777
March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 2002-2002. All rights reserved.