Biggleswade Poor Law Union and Workhouse
The Board of Guardians met alternate Wednesdays at the Workhouse at 11am to discuss Union matters. The population of the Union in 1891 was 26,807, area 58,275 acres and rateable value in September 1893 was £154,421.
The Workhouse on the London Road was erected in 1836 by Thomas Gwyn Elger, architect, and could accommodate 320 inmates. A new ward was added in 1893 at a cost of £1,500.
Union Officers 1894
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee Thomas James Hooper
Treasurer The Capital & County Bank, Biggleswade
Superintendent Registrar Thomas James Hooper
Workhouse Master Charles Guy
Workhouse Matron Mrs Edith Guy
Chaplain Rev. William Pollock Henderson
Medical Officer Alfred James
Telephone:- 01234 228833/228777
March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 2002-2002. All rights reserved.