Linton is a small union Town, parish and head of a petty sessional division, pleasantly seated on the river Granta, on the confines of the County, bordering upon Essex, with a station on the Cambridge and Sudbury branch of the Great Eastern Railway, 11 miles south-east from Cambridge, 13 south-west from Newmarket, 6 north from Saffron Walden and 48 by road or 51 by rail from London, in the eastern division of the County, hundred of Chilford, County Court District of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese Ely. The Town consists principally of one long street, about a mile long, and is lighted with oil lamps by the parish council.
The Board of Guardians meet every alternate Wednesday at the Workhouse at 10.30am. The population of the Union in 1901 was 11,257, area 50,710 acres and rateable value at Lady Day 1908 £66,847.
The Linton Union embraces 22 parishes, viz:- Babraham, Balsham, Bartlow, Bartlow Hamlet, Carlton-cum-Willingham, Castle Camps, Duxford, Great Abington, Hadstock, Hildersham, Hinxton, Horseheath, Ickleton, Linton, Little Abington, Pampisford, Sawston, Shudy Camps, Weston Colville, West Wickham, West Wratting and Whittlesford.
|Union Officers 1908|
|Chairman to the Board of Guardians||George Henry Putter|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||William Richardson|
|Treasurer||William George Hobbs|
|Relieving Officer - Linton District||William Hales|
|Relieving Officer - Duxford District||John Patterson|
The Workhouse, erected in 1836 and a short distance from the village, is a structure of brick, available for 317 inmates. There are two fever wards detached from the main body of the building, but owing to the salubrity of the air, these are not much used.
|Workhouse Staff 1908|
|Workhouse Master||John Bowen|
|Workhouse Matron||Mrs Marie Bowen|
|Chaplain||Rev. John Hagley Rutter|
|Medical Officer||William Mortlock Palmer|
Source: Kelly's Directory 1908
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret