Newmarket is a market and Union Town and head of a County Court District, with a station on the Great Eastern railway, entirely rebuilt in 1902, and 72 miles from London, the Town being 60 miles distant by road, and 13 east by north from Cambridge.
The Board of Guardians meet Tuesday, fortnightly, at 11am at the Union Workhouse. The population in 1901 was 32,103, area 101,353 acres and rateable value Lady Day 1908, £204,778.
The Union formed 30th December 1835 comprises the following parishes:
In Cambridgeshire, Ashley-cum-Silverley, Bottisham, Brinkley, Burrough Green, Burwell, Cheveley, Chippenham, Dullingham, Fordham, Isleham, Kennett, Kirtling, Landwade, Lode, Snailwell, Soham, Stetchworth, Swaffham Bulbeck, Swaffham Prior, Westley Waterless, Wicken and Wood Ditton.
In Suffolk:- Dalham, Exning, Gazeley, Higham, Lidgate, Moulton, Newmarket All Saints, Newmarket St Mary and Ousden.
|Union Officers 1908|
|Chairman of the Board of Guardians||W. Ambrose|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||Sidney John Ennion|
|Assistant Clerk to the Guardians||Fred J. Blackbourn|
|Treasurer||Charles Eaton Hammond|
|Relieving Officer No. 1 District||Frederick R. Ford|
|Relieving Officer No. 2 District||Frank W. Manning|
|Relieving Officer No. 3 District||Alfred G. Duffield|
|Superintendent Registrar||Sidney John Ennion|
The Workhouse located in Exning Parish, a structure of brick, built in 1836,
to hold 500 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff 1908|
|Workhouse Master||Rev. John Vincer Minter|
|Workhouse Matron||Mrs Marie Martin|
|Chaplain||Rev. Arthur Vaile|
|Medical Officer||Clement Frederick Gray|
|Assistant Relieving Officer for Vagrants||Inspector Henry Gobbett, Newmarket Police Station.|
Newmarket Union, formed by the New Poor Law Commissioners, in 1836, comprises the 2 parishes of Newmarket, the 6 parishes of Dalham, Gazeley, Lidgate, Moulton, Ousden & Exning, in Suffolk; & the 21 parishes of Ashley, Boro' Green, Bottisham, Brinkley, Burwell,
Cheveley, Chippenham, Dullingham, Fordham, Isleham, Kennet, Kirtling, Lanswade, Soham, Snailwell, Stetchworth, Swaffham Priory, Swaffham Bulbeck, Westley, Wicken, & Wood-Ditton, in Cambridgeshire.
These 29 parishes comprise an area of 150 sq miles, & a population of 27,383 souls, of whom 6029 are in suffolk, & 21,354 in Cambridgeshire.
The Workhouse stands half a mile north of the town, in Exning parish, & was built, in 1836, at the cost of £6909. It is a spacious building of white brick, having room for 380 inmates. The number in the house in July 1841, was 182; & in September 1843, 169. The average annual
expenditure of the 29 parishes for the support of their poor, during the 3 years preceding the formation of the Union, was £18,191; but in 1838, it was only £11,511, & in 1840, £15062.11s. The total number of in & out door poor relieved in the last quarter of 1842, was 2770.
36 Guardians are elected yearly, & J P Allix esq, is chairman, & William Bryant esq, vice chairman of the Board. William Parr Isaacson esq, is Union Clerk & supt.registrar; William Bryant jnr esq, treasurer; Richard Faircloth esq, surgeon; Rev Robert Whiting, chaplain; Henry Rance esq, auditor; Mr Edward Miller, master of the Workhouse; & Mr Charles Clarke, relieving officer & registrar.
Source: White Directory 1844 - p 717
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret