Wisbech Poor Law Union and Workhouse
The Board of Guardians met alternate Thursdays at 10.30 at the Workhouse, Lynn Road, Wisbech. The population of the Union in 1901 was 33,105, area 111,789 acres with a rateable value in 1904 of £226,577.
|Union Officers 1905|
|Chairman of the Board of Guardians||Rev. J. Young|
|Clerk to the Board and Assessment Committee||Thomas H. Stockdale|
|Treasurer||Francis Maltby Bland|
The Workhouse erected 1838 from designs by William Donthorne, architect, is an extensive building in the Tudor Gothic style and stands in spacious grounds on the Lynn Road. It is capable of containing 445 inmates averaging 150 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff 1905|
|Workhouse Master||Stanley Bimrose|
|Workhouse Matron||Mrs Rosa G. Bimrose|
|Medical Officer||Edward Charles Bury M.D.|
Following the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948 it became The Clarkson Hospital, later becoming a Day Hospital for Elderly Care. The Hospital closed in 1983.
Link to Photo Album
with photographs of Wisbech Union Workhouse
Various administrative (from 1859) and Admission and Discharge (from 1912) records survive and are held by Cambridgeshire Record Office, Shire Hall, Castle Hill, CAMBRIDGE. CB3 0AP
Telephone:- U.K. 01223 717281
Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 2001. All rights reserved.