Nantwich Poor Law Union Workhouse
Nantwich Poor Law Union was declared 24 January 1837, and comprised 71 parishes & townships, for which 79 guardians were chosen, who met at the Boardroom for the transaction of business once a fortnight.
The several places comprised in the Union are:
Acton, Algraham, Alvaston, Aston juxta Mondrum, Audlem, Austerson, Baddiley, Baddington, Barthomley, Basford, Batherton, Beeston, Bickerton, Blakenhall, Bridgemere, Brindley, Broomhall, Buerton, Bulkeley, Bunbury, Burland, Burwardsley, Calveley, Checkley cum Wrinehill, Cholmondeley, Cholmondelstone, Chorley,Chorlton, Coole -
Pilate, Coppenhall Church, Coppenhall Monks, Crewe, Dodcot cum Wilkesley, Doddington, Eaton, Edlaston, Egerton, Faddiley, Hankelow, Haslington, Hatherton, Haughton, Henhull, Hough, Hunterson, Hurlston, Lee, Leighton, Minshull Church, Minshull Vernon, Nantwich, Newhall, Peckforton, Poole, Ridley, Rope, Rushton, Shavington cum Gresty, Sound, Sourstow, Stapeley, Stoke, Tarporley, Tilstone Fearnall, Tiverton, Utkinton, Walgherton, Wardle, Warmington, Weston, Wettenhall, Willaston, Wistaston, Woodcot, Woolstanwood, Worleston, Wrenbury cum Frith, Wybunbury.
The Union House, situated upon Beam Heath and known as Barony Workhouse, a spacious brick building erected for the accommodation of 350 inmates.
|The Rev James Folliott chairman.
Clerk, James Broadhurst;
House Surgeon, Thomas Williamson;
Relieving Officers, William Collett, Nantwich: Joseph Pickering, Crewe: & Joseph Palin, Wrenbury;
Chaplain, Rev A F Chater;
Governor & Matron, James & Mary Holland;
Schoolmaster, Samuel Richardson;
Schoolmistress, Phoebe Crump.
White Directory - p 371
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
The buildings developed to become Barony Hospital under the National Health Service, which was finally closed in 1994.
Cheshire Record Office
Tel: 01244 602574
Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 2000 - 2003. All rights reserved.