Stockport Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Stockport Poor Law Union was declared 17 January 1837 and comprised an area of 30,709 acres & 90,208 souls, & containing the following townships: Stockport, Brinnington, Heaton Norris, Reddish, Handforth cum Bosden, Bramall, Cheadle Bulkeley, Cheadle Moseley, Stockport Etchells, Norbury, Offerton, Torkington, Bredbury, Hyde, Marple, No Man's land, Romiley & Werneth.
There are 22 Guardians who met every Monday morning at ten o'clock, in the Workhouse Board Room.
The Workhouse situated on Shaw Heath, a spacious brick structure erected in 1841, for the accommodation of 700 inmates, the average number about 380. The total cost of the building was £13,470.12s.10d of which £9627 was expended in the building; £659 paid for fixtures; & £171 for furniture; £230 for the warming & drying apparatus; £160 for clock & bell; & the sum of £2503 was expended in incidentals.
The arrangement of the building comprise several quadrangles, in which are workshops, stores, washhouses, hospital, lunatic wards & every convenience admirably adapted for the comfort, cleanliness & convenience of the inmates.
|Clerk & Supt.Registrar, Henry Coppock esq;
Deputy Clerk & Registrar, James Sidebotham;
Medical Officers, Joseph Blackshaw, William Raynor, Frederick Tinker, Joseph Linley & Isaac Chubb;
Relieving Officers, William Bottom, John LOwton & William Drinkwater;
Master & Matron, James & Frances Oakes;
Schoolmaster, Joseph Beckett;
Schoolmistress, Sarah Lynn.
STOCKPORT - White Directory - p 801
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
In 1949 it became known as Shaw Heath Hospital for the treatment of
In 1954 it was renamed St Thomas' Hospital.
Cheshire Record Office
Tel: 01244 602574
Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 2000 - 2003. All rights reserved.