Launceston Workhouse and Poor Law Union
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Saturdays at 12 noon at the Workhouse. The population of the Union in 1891 was 15,874, area 101,580 acres and rateable value in 1896 £87,533.
The Union comprises the following places:- Altarnum, Boyton, Broadwood Widger, Egloskerry, Laneast, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, North Hill, North Petherwin, Northcott Hamlet, Stoke=Climsland, South Petherwin, St Mary Magdalene, St Stephens Urban and Rural, St Giles, St Thomas Apostle Urban and Rural, St Thomas Street, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Tremaine, Trewen, Virginstowe, Warbstow and Werrington.
|Union Officers 1897|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||George Graham White|
|Relieving and School Inquiry Officer - North District||George Thomas Perkin|
|Relieving and School Inquiry Officer - South District||William Metherell|
|Superintendent Registrar||George Graham White|
The Workhouse, Page's Cross, is a plain block of buildings for 212 inmates, erected in 1838.
|Workhouse Staff 1897|
|Daniel Downing||Workhouse Master|
|Mrs Louisa Downing||Workhouse Matron|
|Charles G. Gibson||Medical Officer|
The Children attend the Board School.
Cornwall Record Office
Tel 01872 273698
Page updated March 12, 2008 .
Copyright © Rossbret 2001. All rights reserved.