Liskeard Workhouse and Poor Law Union
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Saturdays at 1.30pm at the Board room, Workhouse. The population of the Union in 1891 was 26,448, area 107,441 acres and the rateable value in 1897 £123,133.
The Union, formed January 16th 1837, comprises the following places, viz:- Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, St Cleer, St Dominck, Duloe, St Ive, St Keyne, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard borough and parish, East Looe, West Looe, St Martin's-by-Looe, Menheniot, Morval, St Neot, Pelynt, St Pinnock, Southill, Talland and St Veep.
|Union Officers 1897|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||Albert Charles Lyne Glubb|
|Relieving Officer - Callington District||Richard Bennett|
|Relieving Officer - Liskeard District||William Hotten Hooper|
|Relieving Officer - Looe District||R. Tamblin|
|Superintendent Registrar||Albert Charles Lyne Glubb|
The Workhouse, Station Road, was built in 1839, at a total cost, including site of about £7,500. It stands on about 2½ acres of land and will hold 350 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff 1897|
|Rev. James Norris||Acting Chaplain|
|William Nettle||Medical Officer|
|A. Mills||Workhouse Master|
|Mrs E. Mills||Workhouse Matron|
Cornwall Record Office
Tel 01872 273698
Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 2001. All rights reserved.