St Germans Workhouse and Poor Law Union
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Thursdays at the Workhouse.
The area of the Union is 42,728 acres, rateable value in 1897 £75,623 and population in 1891 was 17,825.
The Union comprised the following Parishes: Antony, Botus Fleming, Landrake with St Erney, Landulph, Maker, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St Germans, St John, St Mellion, St Stephens, Saltash and Sheviock.
|Union Officers 1897|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||Frederick W. Cleverton|
|Relieving Officer - North District||Christopher Rawling|
|Relieving Officer - South District||R. W. Hancock|
|Superintendent Registrar||Frederick W. Cleverton|
St Germans Union Workhouse, a building of stone was erected 1837-1838 at Union Road, Torpoint from designs by the Architect Charles Lang, and could accommodate 205 inmates.. The St Germans Institution was closed in 1940.
|Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.|
|Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.|
|Workhouse Staff 1897|
|J. Williams||Workhouse Master|
|Rev. F. C. Cardew M.A.||Chaplain|
|S. G. Vinther||Medical Officer|
|Mrs Williams||Workhouse Matron|
The Children attend the National and Wesleyan schools.
Cornwall Record Office
Tel 01872 273698
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret