The Union comprises the following parishes and townships:
Alkmonton, Alstonefield, Ashborne, Atlow, Ballidon, Bentley, Biggin, Blore-with-Swinscoe, Bonsall, Bradborne, Bradley, Brailsford, Brassington, Callow, Calton, Calwich, Carsington, Clifton & Compton, Eaton & Alsop-le-Dale, Edlaston & Wyaston, Ellastone, Hartington Town Quarter, Hartington Nether Quarter, Hognaston, Hollington, Hopton, Hulland, Hulland Ward, Hulland Ward Intakes, Ible, Kirk Ireton, Kniveton, Lea Hall, Longford, Mapleton, Mayfield, Mercaston, Middleton-by-Wirksworth, Newton Grange, Offcote & Underwood, Okeover, Osmaston, Parwich, Prestwood, Ramshorn, Rodsley, Shirley, Snelston, Stanton, Sturston, Thorpe, Tissington, Waterfall, Yeaveley, Yeldersley.
The area of the Union is 97,983 acres, rateable value £158,436 in 1895 and the population in 1891 was 19,930.
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee, William Richard Holland, St John Street, also Superintendent Registrar.
Thomas Millward, South District.
George Mellor, North District
The workhouse is situated on an elevated spot, called Church Banks and will hold 160 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff in 1895|
|P. R. Littleton||Medical Officer|
|Rev. F. Jourdain||Chaplain|
|Mrs Mary Statham||Matron|
Source: Kelly's Directory 1895
Derbyshire Record Office
Tel:- 01629 580000
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret