Chesterfield Union comprises the following places:
Ashover, Barlow, Beighton, Bolsover, Brackenfield, Brampton, Brimington, Calow, Chesterfield, Clay Lane, Coal Aston, Dronfield, Dronfield Woodhouse, Eckington, Egstow, Hasland, Heath, Holmesfield, Killamarsh, Morton, Newbold & Dunston, North Wingfield, Pilsley, Shirland & Higham, Staveley, Stretton, Sutton-cum-Duckmanton, Tapton, Temple Normanton, Tupton, Unstone, Walton, Wessington, Whittington, Wingerworth, Woodthorpe.
The area of the Union is 89,870 acres, rateable value in 1895 £440,754 and the population in 1891 was 111,740.
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee, George Shaw, Newbold Road, Chesterfield, also Superintendent Registrar.
Edwin Keeton, Eckington District.
Edward Hy. Hudson, Chesterfield District
Edward Bradbury, Clay Cross District.
William John Broomhead, Whittington District.
The Workhouse in Newbold Road, a fine brick building, was opened January 1st 1840 and will hold 300 inmates.
|Staff at the Workhouse 1895|
|Robert James Barradell||Master|
|Mrs Annie Barradell||Matron|
|Flavell Edmund||Medical Officer|
Derbyshire Record Office
Tel:- 01629 580000
Kelly's Directory 1895
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret