Workhouse and Poor Law Union
The Axminster Union comprises 17 parishes.
The total average annual expenditure of the 17 parishes for the support of their poor during the 3 years preceding the formation of the Union was £10,218; during the 3 years ending 1840 £9058; & during the succeeding 3 years, £10,029. Their total expenditure for the year ended Lady Day, 1849, was £14,669, including £1297 paid to the county rates, £924 for salaries, & about £90 paid for registration & vaccination fees.
The Workhouse, at Axminster, was built in 1836 based on the Square Plan from designs by Sampson Kempthorne, at the cost of £7000, but it has since been altered & enlarged, at the cost of £2500. It has room for 450 paupers, but seldom has more than 300 inmates. 10 surgeons are employed by the Union & the other principal officers are Charles Bond Esq, Union clerk & supt.registrar; Rev Z J Edwards, chaplain; William & Mrs Gomm, master & matron of the Workhouse.
Axminster Union Workhouse
Situated on Musbury Road, Part of Tything, Axminster,
1851 census HO/107/1862
Folio 261 Page 16
William Gonam Master of Administrative Union
Esther Gonam Matron of Administrative Union
White Directory - 1850 - p356/7. Submitted by Betty Longbottom
1851 census HO/107/1862 Folio 261 Page 16
Records available from Devon Records Office Web Site
Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret