Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteBarnstaple


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteBarnstaple



Barnstaple Poor Law Union and Workhouse

Founded 1837 in Alexandra Road, Barnstaple and became Alexandra Hospital under the NHS and closed in 1978. 

1851 census Barnstaple Union Workhouse
HO/107/1892             Folio 213     Page 16

John Marsh  Master of Workhouse
Mary Marsh  Matron of Workhouse   

Barnstaple Union - White - 1850 - p 573

comprises 39 parishes. The Union Workhouse is a stone building, which was erected in 1837, at the cost of 4000, including 900 paid for the land, but it has since been enlarged at the additional cost of 1500. It has room for 320 paupers, & had 220 in January 1850. The expenditure of the Union, in 1849, was 13,974. J S Clay Esq is the union clerk & supt.registrar; the Rev George Johnston is the chaplain; & Mr John & Mrs Marsh are master & matron of the Workhouse.
Source: Submitted by Betty Longbottom  

Records Available

Devon Records Office Web Site 


Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret