Stonehouse Poor Law Union and Workhouse
The parish workhouse was erected in 1801, when the old one was taken down.
It has room for 130 paupers, & the parish forms a union & registration
district under the new Poor Law; & in 1838, expended £3005.14s in
maintaining its in & out door poor. Mr Richard Rodd is the union clerk &
supt.registrar; Mr J Capron is relieving officer; Mr Joseph & Mrs Piercy are
master & matron of the Workhouse.
Source: White Directory 1850 p691
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Records Office Web Site
Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret