Link back to main ROSSBRET websitePlympton St Mary


Link back to main ROSSBRET websitePlympton St Mary


Plympton Poor Law Union and Workhouse

Situated Market Road, Plympton, the Union Workhouse was founded in 1836. The Workhouse infirmary founded 1858, which became Underwood House Hospital under the NHS. In 1958 it became known as Plympton Hospital.

Plympton, St Mary, Devonshire
1851 census - HO/107/1877             Folio 438     Page 38

John C. Dawe - Master of Workhouse
Mary Dawe - Matron of Workhouse

Plympton St Mary Union - White Directory

comprises 19 parishes. The total average annual expenditure during the 3 years preceding the formation of the Union, was 8952. In 1838 their expenditure was 7066; & in 1840, 8206. 

The Union Workhouse, at Underwood, near Plympton St Mary, is a large substantial building, with room for more than 200 inmates. Harry Bulted Harris Esq is chairman, & J B Yonge & Henry Rivers are vice-chairmen of the Board of Guardians, who meet every Friday. Mr Nicholas Lockyer, of Plymouth, is union clerk & supt.registrar; & Mr Thomas Southwood, of Underwood, is relieving officer for the whole Union.  
Source: White Directory 1850 p.551
Submitted by Betty Longbottom


Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of  insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.
Plympton St Mary 3 3 6
Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.

Records Available

Devon Records Office Web Site 


Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret