Tavistock Poor Law Union and Workhouse
The workhouse at Tavistock, dated 1837, the plan of it resembles
Kempthorne's cruciform workhouse, but with the forward-facing arm truncated. In it's
place is a courtyard to which access was gained through an imposing central archway.
It is now flats but looks
from the exterior almost the same. The entrance road is called Russell
Court, no doubt the name of the flats, and the main road leading to it from the centre of
Tavistock is called Drake Road.
Source: Submitted by Margaret Green
Tavistock Union - White - 1850 - p 629
Records available from Devon Record Office
Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret