The following parishes are within the Union: Allington, Askerswell, Bothenhampton, Bradpole, Bridport, Burton, Bradstock, Catherston Leweston, Charmouth, Chideock, Chilcombe, Litton Cheney, Loders, Puncknoll, Shipton Gorge, Stanton St Gabriel, Swyre, Symondsbury, Whitchurch Canonicorum and Wootton Fitzpaine.
The population of the Union in 1911 was 12,650; area 32,836 acres; rateable
value in 1915 £73,774.
Chairman of the Board of Guardians, Robert Henry Palmer, Puncknowle Manor, Puncknowle, Dorchester.
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee, John James Roper, 74 East Street.
The Poor Law Institution, St Andrews Road, is a building of stone, erected in 1836 for 250 inmates;
John Samuel Larcombe, Master
Mrs J. S. Larcombe, Matron.
Rev. Charles Frederick Langford, chaplain.
Walter E. Manby, medical officer.
Source: Kelly's Directory 1915
Dorset Archive Service
Telephone:- U.K. 01305 250550
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret