Billericay Union Workhouse
Erected in 1840 to provide for the poor of 29 parishes:
National Health Service it became St
Andrews Hospital, which finally closed
in 1997. The original workhouse
buildings, remain as listed buildings
and are called Charles House.
They are used as Residential Accommodation.
A book is available called "The Billericay Union Workhouse" by Miss Needham.
BILLERICAY - Post Office Directory 1846 - p 26
There is a union workhouse - Benjamin G Collis is governor.
Source: Submitted by Betty Longbottom
|Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.|
|Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.|
Telephone (01245) 244644
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret