Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteChelmsford


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteChelmsford


Chelmsford Union

The Workhouse was erected 1837 following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834, on Wood Street, Chelmsford. It became St John's Hospital under the National Health Service.

Parishes comprising Chelmsford Union

Great Baddow  Little Baddow  Boreham  Broomfield  Buttsbury 
Chelmsford  Chignall  Danbury  Good Easter  High Easter 
Fryerning  East Hanningfield  South Hanningfield  West Hanningfield  Ingatestone 
Great Leighs  Little Leigh  Margaretting  Mashbury  Pleshey 
Rettendon  Roxwell  Runwell  Sandon  Springfield 
Stock  Great Waltham  Little Waltham  Widford  Woodham Ferrers 

CHELMSFORD - Post Office 1846 - p 39  
The union comprises Chelmsford, Writtle, Great Waltham, Great Baddow, 27 parishes & 31,000 people. 
The workhouse for 400 people was built in 1837.  
Source: Submitted by Betty Longbottom

Dispensary - p 42: in New Bridge St - physician, Miller; surgeons, Gilson, Cremer & Lovell.
Source: Submitted by Betty Longbottom  


Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of  insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.
Chelmsford 7 3 10
Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.


Essex Record Office
Wharf Road, 
CM12 6YT. 
Telephone (01245) 244644

Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret