Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteCheltenham


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteCheltenham


Cheltenham Workhouse and Poor Law Union

The Board of Guardians meet Thursdays at the Workhouse. The full Board consists of thirty-five elected members and two co-opted members. Ninteen Guardians for the parish of Cheltenham, as follows; four for the middle ward, and three each for the central, west, north, east and south wards. Under the Poor Law Act the Town is comprised in the Cheltenham Union and is divided into six wards. 

The Union comprises the parishes of Cheltenham, Badgworth, Charlton Kings, Cowley, Cubberley, Leckhampton, Prestbury, Shurdington, Staverton, Swindon, Uckington, UpHatherley, Great Witcombe.

The population of the Union in 1891 was 54,786 and in 1901 was 57,880, area 26,526 acres and rateable value in 1901 346,619

Union Officers 1902
Chairman of the Board of Guardians William Frederick Hicks-Beach, Witcombe Park, Gloucester
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee John Meek, Swindon Road
Relieving Officer - 
No. 1 District
William Jas. Wrathall
Relieving Officer - 
No. 2 District
Thomas Lloyd
Relieving Officer - 
No. 3 District
Henry Fred Burrows
Treasurer Francis Frederick Leaver

The workhouse, in Swindon Road, is an edifice of brick, erected about 1840 and reconstructed and enlarged in 1887 and will now hold 534 inmates. New Casual wards were built in 1883-84 in St Paul's Road.

Workhouse Staff 1902
Chaplain Rev. John George Derrick
Medical Officer Richard Davies
Master Thomas James Eves
Matron Mary J. A. Eves
Tramp Master David Williams

The General Hospital and Dispensary
In Sandford Road, established in 1839, is a noble edifice of stone, in the classic style, erected at a cost of nearly 9,000, from designs of the late D. J. Humphris, architect, and a new wing was added in 1878, at a cost of 6,132. It is entirely supported by voluntary contributions, and contains 82 beds.
In connection with the Hospital is a Private Nursing Institution, erected in 1894, at a cost of 2,500, and available for 30 Nurses.

The Female Orphan Asylum
Founded by Queen Charlotte in 1806, and is under the patronage of H.M. Queen Alexandra.

The Delancey Hospital
In Leckhampton, was founded by the late Miss Delancey, who bequeathed 5,000 for this purpose, but through some informality only 3,750 eventually became available. The late Rev. J. H. L. Gabell gave 1,000 towards the site, and 5,365 for the buildings and furniture, and 1,000 Consols as an endowment fund.

The Eye, Ear and Throat Infirmary
Established in 1889 at 2, North Place, is for the gratuitous relief of really indigent persons suffering from diseases of the Eye, ear and throat. It is managed by a committee of nine. 

The Cobourg Society and Dispensary for Diseases of Women and Children
Established in 1817, and in 1899 there were 116 patients.

St Mary's cemetery is in the High Street, and the new cemetery is located on cemetery road, Cheltenham.


Gloucester Record Office
Clarence Row
Alvin Street
Tel:- 01452 425295


Page updated March 12, 2008

Copyright Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.

If you have any information or photographs that you can add to this site, please email