Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteStroud


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteStroud


Stroud Union Workhouse

The Board of Guardians meet Fridays at the Board Room, John Street, Stroud.
The population of the Union in 1901 was 41,347, area 38,041 acres and the rateable value in 1901 148,097

The Union comprises the following parishes;
Bisley-with-Lypiatt, Cainscross, Chalford, Cranham, Horsley, Leonard Stanley, King Stanley, Minchinhampton, Miserden, Nailsworth, Painswick, Pitchcombe, Rodborough, Randwick, Stonehouse, Stroud, Thrupp, Uplands, Whiteshill and Woodchester.

Union Officers 1902:-
Chairman of Guardians, E. Playne esq.
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee, Fredk Winterbotham, solicitor.

Stroud Union Workhouse, located on Bisley Road was known as "Stone Manor".
It was erected 1835 to 1840 from designs by Architect William Mason. 
A large cemetery is situated across the road from the Workhouse opened on 
1st September 1856, the first burial being a Pauper from the Workhouse named 
William Lewis on the 4th September.

Link to Stroud Union Workhouse Photographs taken in 1992 by Sue Richards and kindly submitted for use on this site


Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of  insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.
Stroud 13 26 39
Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.

Stroud General Hospital

Located near Trinity Church on Trinity Road, is an edifice erected in 1875 at a cost of 8,754 and takes the place of the old hospital and infirmary, which formerly existed in George Street, and was founded in 1790. The Institution, with the exception of a small nucleus of invested funds, is supported by voluntary contributions. It is available for 35 patients. During the year 1900 387 in patients and 2,573 out patients were under treatment.

Infectious Diseases Hospital

Hospital of the Joint Hospital Board, formed of 12 members, 4 each from the Stroud Urban, Stroud Rural and the Nailsworth Urban District Councils. The Hospital  is an iron structure situated near Bisley.


Gloucester Record Office
Clarence Row
Alvin Street
Tel:- 01452 425295

Page updated March 12, 2008

Copyright Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.

If you have any information or photographs that you can add to this site, please email