Alresford Poor Law Union was declared 9th March 1835 and comprised the parishes of Alresford, Beauworth, Bishops Sutton, Bramdean, Brown Candover, Chilton Candover, Hinton Ampnor, Kilmeston, Northington, Ovington, Ropley and Swarreton.
The parishes of Bighton, Cheriton, Itchen-Stoke and Tichborne were added on 23rd July 1835, and the parish of Godsfield on 18th October 1858.
The workhouse was
erected at Tichborne Down in 1835 from designs by Edward Hunt, architect.
It was a structure of red brick and could accommodate 200 inmates.
The area of the Union in 1861 was 39,761 acres and the population was 7,182.
Hampshire Record Office
Tel: 01962 846154
Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.