Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteAlverstoke


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteAlverstoke


Alverstoke Workhouse

Alverstoke Workhouse was erected as a Gilbert Parish House of Industry in 1799 to 1801, for 250 Inmates. It was one of the first type of workhouses to have a supervisory central portion, where the Master, Matron and Committee room were situated, erected as a cross shape within a larger square. Alverstoke became a Poor Law Union in 1852.

The Watchman
21st Jan 1835 p 21
The contract for the support of the paupers in the House of Industry at Alverstoke, near Gosport has been taken at 1s-9d a head per week. 
Source:  The Watchman 1835 A Weekly Journal for Methodists JRUL Ref MAW P Ga 416 pp Submitted by Alan Longbottom.


Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867 With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of  insane, idiotic, and imbecile inmates.
Alverstoke 11 9 20
Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.

Hampshire Record Office
Sussex Street, 
SO23 8TH
Tel: 01962 846154 

Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.