Andover Workhouse was situated in Junction Road.
The workhouse built of brick in 1836 with main building and two wings either side. An infirmary built of iron was situated at the rear for infectious cases. The workhouse could accommodate 355 inmates.
Andover Workhouse later became St John's Hospital and was
then closed. However, the building was listed and has been tastefully
incorporated into a new Housing scheme.
Photograph Copyright © Rossbret 2000
12 March, 2008
Copyright © Rossbret 2000-2002. All rights reserved.