The original Union Workhouse was situated in
Shaftesbury Street, but a call was made for a new purpose built workhouse to
accommodate the poor. The new Workhouse took 15 months to build at the central
site known as "The Bartons". The architect being Mr. Fred Bath of
Salisbury, and the builder Mr. John Greenwood.
from Salisbury and Winchester Journal
Nov 27th 1886
The buildings comprise, the entrance block (on the right Hand), containing
porter's room, receiving wards, bath room and lavatory, cells for male and
female vagrants, with day room, labour shed, fumigating room with conveniences.
The entrance block (on the left hand), contains board room with strong room,
lavatory &c, waiting room, shoemaker's room, rooms for aged married couples
and store for inmates clothes. Beyond is the main block providing accommodation
for able-bodied, infirm and very infirm inmates of both sexes, with bath rooms,
lavatories, stores & c., Master's Office, sitting room and bedrooms, large
and well proportioned dining-hall with convenient kitchens and offices
adjoining. In the able-bodied Women's yard is the wash-house, laundry and other
offices, with a large storage tank for supply of rain water. In the able-bodied
men's yard is a large and convenient labour shed with well and pumping
apparatus. The infirm Men and Women's yard have covered seats. The Children's
block comprises boys and girls day rooms, school and class rooms, with Mistress'
room, and large airy dormitories, with convenient and suitable bath rooms and
lavatories. Special care has been bestowed upon the sanitary arrangements
throughout, and the drainage is so arranged that almost any length of drain may
be inspected at a moments notice by means of lamps and manholes placed in
suitable positions with lidded pipes (to allow for removal of a stoppage without
breaking the pipes). Bowes, Scott and Read's patent automatic flushing tanks are
used for flushing purposes.
Externally the buildings present a warm and pleasing appearance, being erected
with the local red bricks relieved only by moulded cornices, strings, labels,
aprons &c., of the same colour. The design is Queen Anne in character
plainly treated, the good appearance being almost entirely obtained by careful
proportion and grouping. In the centre of the main block rises a bold and
somewhat quaint gable surmounted by a water tower, and terminating with an
octagonal bell turret with vane and finial, the whole rising to a height of
about 60 feet. The whole of the works have been satisfactorily carried out by
Mr. John Greenwood, of Mansfield, Notts, from the design and under the personal
superintendance of the architect Mr. Fred Bath, of Crown Chambers, Salisbury.
Mr. Edwin Radford acted as Clerk of the works and Mr. Robert Orchardson was the
contractor's resident agent.
The new Fordingbridge Union Workhouse was opened 22nd
December 1886 and could accommodate 100 inmates. The site of the old workhouse
was then sold off in January 1887.
to Plans of Fordingbridge Workhouse
|Workhouses, List of those visited in 1867
With Name of the Workhouse and numbers of insane, idiotic, and
|Source: 22nd Report of the Commissioners in
Lunacy to the Lord Chancellor. Submitted by Alan Longbottom.
Tel: 01962 846154
Founded by Voluntary contributions following an idea
by Lady Hulse. Situated in Church Street, Fordingbridge, it opened in January
1890 and was maintained by subscription from the Residents within the area.
Page updated March 12, 2008