Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteHereford


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteHereford


Hereford Poor Law Union and Workhouse

The Office is in East Street, the Board of Guardians meet Saturday at 11am at the workhouse. The Visiting Committee meet every Saturday before the Board Meeting. The population of the Union in 1891 was 34,120, area 70,699 and rateable value 238,275.

Hereford Union comprises the following parishes;
Aconbury, All Saints (Hereford), Allensmore, Bartestree, Boulstone, Breinton, Burghill & Tillington, Callow, Clehonger, Credenhill, Dewsall, Dinedor, Dinmore, Dormington, Eaton Bishop, Fownhope, Grafton, Hampton Bishop, Haywood, Holme Lacy, Holmer (Within), Holmer & Shelwick, Huntington, Kenchester, Little Birch, Little Dewchurch, Lower Bullingham, Lugwardine, Marden, Mordiford, Moreton-on-Lugg, Much Birch, Much Dewchurch, Pipe & lyde, Preston Wynne, St John the Baptist, St Martin, St Nicholas, St Owen, St Peter, Stoke Edith, Stretton Sugwas, Suttons, Tupsey, Vineyard, Wellington, Westhide, Weston Beggard and Withington.

Union Officers 1900
Chairman of the Board of Guardians Hugh Ronalds esq.
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee Thomas Llanwarne
Treasurer George Cranmer Kenrick
Relieving and Vaccination Officer - Burghill District Henry Corey
Relieving and Vaccination Officer - Dewhurst District Edward Fowles
Relieving and Vaccination Officer - Fownhope District Henry George Mason
Superintendent Registrar Thomas Llanwarne

The Workhouse, at the back of the County Gaol, Commercial Road, St Peter's and erected in the year 1836, is a large and substantially built edifice of brick, capable of holding 300 inmates. 

Workhouse Staff 1900
Chaplain Rev. William Langston Benest Janvrin
Medical Officer James Harris Lilley M.D.
Workhouse Master Charles King
Workhouse Matron  Mrs Ruth King
Schoolmistress Sarah A. Hales

Hereford workhouse improvements

At a recent meeting of the Local Board of Guardians, Mr T.Davies endeavoured to obtain the authority of the Board to the front centre of the workhouse being raised, so as to be in accordance with the new wings, at an outlay not exceeding 200; and accordingly moved that the architect, Mr Chick, be instructed to prepare plans, and to take steps to obtain the sanction of the Poor Law Board to the same, so that the alteration may be made in the spring .Mr. Parry, moved as an amendment, - That the consideration of the whole subject be deferred until the ensuing Spring, and Mr Apperley, another amendment, - that the original proposition be rejected entirely; and this last motion was agreed to by a majority of 17 to 11 for Mr Parry's amendment, and two for the original motion.
Source: The Builder 1868 Vol XXVI .29th August 1868 p.648
Submitted by Alan Longbottom


Hereford Record Office
The Old Barracks
Harold Street
Telephone:- 01432 260750

Page updated March 12, 2008

Copyright Rossbret 1999-2005. All rights reserved.

If you have any information or photographs that you can add to this site, please email