East Ashford Union Workhouse
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Mondays at the Union at 11am. The population of the Union in 1901 was 13,112, area 54,800 acres, and rateable value in 1902 £86,100.
The Union of East Ashford comprises the following parishes, viz:- Aldington, Bilsington, Bircholt, Bonnington, Boughton-Aluph, Brabourne, Brook, Challock, Chilham, Crundale, Eastwell, Godmersham, Hastingleigh, Hinxhill, Hurst, Kennington, Mersham, Moldash, Orlestone, Ruckinge, Sevington, Smeeth, Warehorne, Willesborough and Wye.
|Union Officers 1902|
|Chairman of the Board of Guardians||W. Cheesman|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||Horace Hamilton|
|Treasurer||William Francis Bond Jemmett|
|Collector to the Guardians, Relieving and Vaccination Officer - No. 1 District||Stephen File|
|Collector to the Guardians, Relieving and Vaccination Officer - No. 2 District||George Newport Sutton|
|Superintendent Registrar||Horace Hamilton|
The Workhouse, Willesborough, a structure of brick, erected in 1837 to hold 350 inmates, with administrative block and Chapel built in 1898.
|Workhouse Staff 1902|
|George Bailey||Workhouse Master|
|Mrs Kate Bailey||Workhouse Matron|
|Rev. Peter Francis Tindall||Chaplain|
|Charles Mason Atkinson||Medical Officer|
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret