Eastry Union Workhouse
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Tuesdays at the Union, Eastry, at 10.30am. The area of the Union is 46,464 acres, rateable value in 1902 £138,925 and the population in 1901 was 31,533.
Eastry Union comprises the following parishes, viz:- Ash-next-Sandwich, Barfreston, Betteshanger, Chillenden, Deal, Eastry, Elmstone, Eythorne, Goodnestone, Great Mongeham, Ham, Knowlton, Little Mongeham, Nonington, Northbourne, Preston-by-Wingham, Ripple, St Bartholomew (Sandwich), St Clement (Sandwich), St Mary (Sandwich), St Peter (Sandwich), Sholden, Staple-next-Wingham, Stourmouth, Sutton-by-Dover, Tilmanstone, Waldershare, Walmer, Wingham, Woodnesborough and Worth.
|Union Officers 1902|
|Chairman of the Board of Guardians||Rev. Canon David Bruce Payne|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||Frederick Spencer Cloke|
|Treasurer||Francis Charles Heming|
|Relieving and Inquiry Officer No. 1 District||George Jull|
|Relieving and Inquiry Officer No. 2 District||Thomas Watson|
|Superintendent Registrar||Frederick Spencer Cloke|
The Workhouse, at the south-western end of the village, is a structure of brick to which an Infirmary was added in 1871, with 104 beds and detached wards for contagious fever cases. It will hold 494 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff 1902|
|Frederick H. Gabitas||Workhouse Master|
|Rev. Charles Dudley Lampen||Chaplain|
|Mrs Mary Herring||Workhouse Matron|
A Sanatorium for Infectious Diseases with 12 beds was built in 1901, and a
Smallpox Hospital with 12 beds was added in 1902.
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret