Elham Union Workhouse
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Thursdays at the Workhouse, Lyminge, at 10am. The area of the Union is 43,725 acres, rateable value in 1902 £369,552 and the population in 1901 was 52,134.
Elham Union comprises the following parishes, viz:- Acrise, Cheriton, Elham, Elmsted, Folkestone, Folkestone-next-Sandgate, Hawkinge, Hythe (St Leonard), Lyminge, Lympne, Monks-Horton, Newington-next-Hythe, Paddlesworth, Postling, Saltwood, Sandgate, Sellinge, Stanford, Stelling, Stelling Minnis, Stowting and Swingfield.
|Union Officers 1902|
|Chairman of the Board of Guardians||Archibald Stoakes Jones|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||Robert Lonergan|
|Treasurer||John Alexander Mackay Scobie|
|Relieving and Inquiry Officer No. 1 District||Peter Hemsley|
|Relieving and Inquiry Officer No. 2 District||Charles Wollett|
|Superintendent Registrar||Robert Lonergan|
The Workhouse, Etching Hill, Lyminge, a structure of red brick, was built in 1840, and will hold 346 inmates, and has since been greatly enlarged, by the addition of infirmary wards, a new Chapel and other buildings.
|Workhouse Staff 1902|
|Frederick Edward Ayre||Workhouse Master|
|Rev. Frederick Taply||Chaplain|
|Mrs R. Ayre||Workhouse Matron|
|William Bishop||Medical Officer|
The Union Cottage Homes for Children are located at Cheriton, supervised by Mr and Mrs Harvey.
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret