Hollingbourne Union Workhouse
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Thursdays at the Board Room, 33 Earl Street, Maidstone at 11.45am.. The area of the Union is 57,670 acres, rateable value in 1902 £85,763 and the population in 1901 was 12,546.
Hollingbourne Union comprises the following parishes, viz:- Bicknor, Boughton Malherbe, Boxley, Bredhurst, Broomfield, Chart next Sutton Valence, Detling, East Sutton, Frinsted, Harrietsham, Headcorn, Hollingbourne, Hucking, Langley, Leeds, Lenham, Otterden, Stockbury, Sutton Valence, Thurnham, Ulcombe, Wormshill and Wichling.
|Union Officers 1902|
|Chairman of the Board of Guardians||T. Powell|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||Henry James Bracher|
|Treasurer||W. F. Mercer|
|Relieving and Inquiry Officer No. 1 District||William Taylor|
|Relieving and Inquiry Officer No. 2 District||William W. H. Ruff|
|Superintendent Registrar||Henry James Bracher|
The Workhouse is a commodious building, on the road from Maidstone to Ashford and will hold 400 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff 1902|
|Henry Barling||Workhouse Master|
|Rev. Henry Charles Pryce Jones||Chaplain|
|Mrs Barling||Workhouse Matron|
|A. M. Whitestone||Medical Officer|
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret