Sevenoaks Union Workhouse
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Thursdays at the Workhouse, Sundridge at 11am. The area of the Union is 66,596 acres, rateable value in 1902 £189,068 and the population in 1901 was 30,790.
Sevenoaks Union comprises the following parishes, viz:- Brasted, Chevening, Chiddingstone, Cowden, Edenbridge, Halstead, Hever, Kemsing, Leigh, Otford, Penshurst, Riverhead, Seal, Sevenoaks, Sevenoaks Weald, Shoreham, Sundridge and Westerham
|Union Officers 1902|
|Chairman of the Board of Guardians||A. T. Bevan|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||George Frederick Carnell|
|Relieving and Inquiry Officer No. 1 District||W. R. Waghorne|
|Relieving and Inquiry Officer No. 2 District||Arthur D. Pratt|
|Relieving and Inquiry Officer No. 3 District||Robert C. Pope|
|Superintendent Registrar||George Frederick Carnell|
The Workhouse, Birchfield, Sundridge, a building of Kentish rag, with red brick dressings, built in 1844 to hold 381 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff 1902|
|George Wilson||Workhouse Master|
|Rev. Thomas Stevens||Chaplain|
|Mrs M. A. Wilson||Workhouse Matron|
|Stanley E. Ward||Medical Officer|
|Miss Mary Mitchell||School Mistress|
The Union workhouse, recently erected, is large & contains from 230 - 300 inmates. John Robinson, master.
Source: Post Office 1846 - p 365
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret