Chorley Union Workhouse
The original Chorley Workhouse dated from 1788. Prior to that the town had made use of the Workhouse at Westhoughton. When the Chorley Poor Law Union was formed in 1838, it also took over workhouses in Brindle, Croston, Hoghton and Leyland. Of these only the one in Brindle stayed in use for a significant time. It closed in 1872 when the new Chorley Workhouse, with a ''general hospital and infirmary'' on Eaves Lane was opened.
Chorley Dispensary was founded on 1/7/1828 and was a major source of medical assistance. It was reorganized into the Cottage Hospital in 1892.
Finnington Smallpox Hospital belonged to Blackburn Corporation but Chorley bought use of it from 1888. Chorley Hospital has been through many changes, but is open and has greatly expanded over the past decade. Eaves Lane has closed within the last 10 years and has been demolished.
Source: Information provided by John Harrison.
Following the commencement of the NHS it was used for the treatment of Mental Health and known as Eaves Lane Hospital.
Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret