Haslingden Poor Law Union and Workhouse
The Workhouse was erected 1869 from designs by Henry F. Lockwood and William Mawson. Situated at Moorlands, Rawtenstall.
The Poor Law Union comprised the parishes of Accrington, Higher
Booths, Lower Booths, Cowpe Lench, Newhall Hay and Hall Carr, Haslingden,
Henheads, Musbury, Newchurch and Tottington Higher End.
Haslingdon - Workhouse Tenders
From the report of the Local Guardians, of the Building Committee, it appears that there was but one tender for the whole work - that of Mr J. Barry of Scarborough; the others, which were very numerous, being from smaller contractors for portions of the work only. The tender of Mr.Barry, at the sum of £20,865, was accepted by the Guardians. Several of the guardians expressed
surprise at the necessity of the original grant of £13,500 being so largely exceeded; but the architects, Messrs Lockwood and Mawson, who were both present, explained that all this was mainly due to the increased requirements of the
Poor-Law Board since the plans were originally decided upon, alterations and additions thereby being rendered compulsory which greatly enhanced the cost. Not long ago £17 a head on the number of inmates would have been ample to have paid for a well-built workhouse, but now, so stringent had the requirements of the Poor-Law Board become, that nearly double that amount was necessary if good material and satisfactory workmanship were to be used.
A few years back 500 cubic feet of space were allowed to each pauper, but now the Poor-Law Board were satisfied with nothing less than 1,500 cubic feet per head. A large increase in the cost of internal arrangements was entailed by reason of extra staircases, passages and bath-rooms etc. They also stated that before the plans were drawn they had not been shown the site, and had, therefore, not taken into consideration the cost of taking material thither. However, they were content to accept the 5 per.cent. on the original estimate as their remuneration; although in consequence of the alterations named, it would be far from a profitable undertaking. It was decided that application be made to the Poor-Law Board for permission to borrow £15,000 additional. As to the payment of the architects, it was resolved
that these gentlemen be paid £300 down, on account of expenses already incurred, £150 more when the main building was ready for the roof, and the balance of £200 on the completion of the work - making in all £650 or 5 per.cent. on the amount
Source: The Builder Vol XXVI 21st March 1868 p.214
Submitted by Alan Longbottom
Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret