Poor Law Union and Workhouse
Founded in 1840 by the Lancaster Board of Guardians.
The Poor Law Union comprised of Aldcliffe, Ashton with Stodday, Bolton le Sands, Bulk, Carnforth, Cockerham, Cockersand Abbey, Ellel, Heaton with Oxcliffe, Heysham, Lancaster, Middleton, Overton, Poulton Barre and Torrisholme, Priest Hutton, Scotforth, Silverdale, Skerton, Slyne with Hest, Thurnham, Warton with Lindeth, Over Wyresdale, Yealand Conyers and Yealand Redmayne.
In 1930 it became Parkside Public Assistance Institution administered by Lancashire County Council.
Under the NHS it was renamed Bay View Hospital, and then closed in 1962.
Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret