Leigh Poor Law Union and Workhouse
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Wednesdays at the Workhouse at 2.30pm.
Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee, and Superintendent Registrar (1898) Ernest Williams.
The Union Workhouse, Leigh Road was erected in 1851 at a cost of £8,000 and enlarged in 1885 when a new Hospital with 112 beds was added. The total cost being £11,000 and in 1896 new offices, steam laundry, workshops, stables and Male and Female Vagrant wards were erected at a cost of £12,000. It is available for 389 inmates, the present number being 200.
|Workhouse Staff 1898|
|Benjamin Jones||Medical Officer|
|Mrs Martha Burns||Matron|
With the introduction of the Welfare State, it became Atherleigh Hospital, which was closed in 1990.
Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret