West Derby Union Workhouse
West Derby Workhouse situated in Belmont Road, Liverpool is now Newsham General Hospital.
|The original New Poor Law workhouse was at Mill
Road. Erected 1841. It became an infirmary much later and Belmont road was
a relief site. See
Source: Submitted by Mike Royden
1858 Slaters Directory
West Derby Workhouse
Governor ~ Edward Gough
Chaplain ~ Thomas Moore
House Surgeon ~ John B. Nevins
Source: researched by Barbara Humphreys
West Derby Union Workhouse (s)
Newsham General Hospital was opened as a Poor Law Institution in 1865, under the West Derby Board of Guardians. It was originally intended to accommodate some 1,800 persons, the majority of whom were able bodied. In fact this was a workhouse, with all the grim characteristics of the cold charity of the Victorian era ----- long dark corridors, men separated from their wives by a high wall, straw mattresses and bare brick walls, with iron beds huddled together. In 1929 the function of the Board of Guardians was transferred to the Public Assistance Committee, and a few years later to the Health Committee of Liverpool Corporation. The Workhouse then became Belmont Road Hospital. In 1948 the hospital was taken over by the Ministry of Health and it then became Newsham General Hospital.
Mill Road Maternity Hospital in Everton was another Workhouse
operated under the West Derby Union Board of Guardians. This institution was
originally described as " The West Derby Union Workhouse For Sick
Poor". It was taken over by the Ministry of Health in 1948 and was then
called the Mill Road Maternity Hospital.
Source: Information submitted by Derek Sadler
West Derby Union, Liverpool - Opening of new Workhouse
The new workhouse at Walton, the first stone of which was laid on the 29th of March 1864, by Mr Thomas Haigh (the then chairman of the West Derby Board of Guardians), has been formally opened. The edifice has been constructed to accommodate 1,000 inmates, and has cost, including the price of the land (purchased from Lord Sefton), £65,000. The grounds extend over an area of 37 acres, and it is intended to devote a great portion of the land to cultivation, so as to afford useful employment for the inmates. At either end of the building
are hospitals for male and female inmates, and it is intended immediately to proceed with the laying out of a cemetery and the erection of a church. The main building is already nearly full; and it is probable that in the course of time the accommodation will not be too much for the numerous poor chargeable to the rates of the West Derby Union. Messrs Culshaw and Summers are the architects,
and Mr James Walters, the builder.
Source: The Builder 1868 Vol XXVI 25th April 1868 p.301
Submitted by Alan Longbottom
Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret