Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteLiverpool


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteLiverpool


Liverpool Poor Law Union and Workhouse

Situated on Brownlow Hill, Liverpool.
The Workhouse was demolished and the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Christ the King has been built on the site. 

Jim Ralph has given the following Information:

"The Liverpool Workhouse was at 144a Brownlow Hill, Liverpool. It began near the bluecoat school in 1732 and moved to Brownlow Hill in 1769. It was the largest workhouse in the Country and evolved into a small Town with carts and other vehicles moving around within the grounds. There were footwalks for people, a small church seating 800 people and a separate hospital, which at times housed over 1,000 people and became one of the best hospitals in the Liverpool area.
It was always over crowded. The poor law Board certified it for 3,280 people but by 1910 there were more than 5,000 people there. There were six people to a bed at times with others sleeping in the corridors.
The buildings were demolished before the second World War and the site upon which they stood is now occupied by the Roman Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral."

313 Emigration of Pauper Children - Liverpool

The Liverpool Workhouse committee have decided to entertain a proposal from Miss Rye, to take all their orphan girls for her emigration scheme, each girl being supplied with 8 by the parochial authorities. Mr. Rathbone, M.P., brought Miss Rye's scheme forward.
Source: The Builder 1869 Vol XXVII 17th April 1869
Submitted by Alan Longbottom.

Maghull Homes

Located outside the Town of Maghull, the first hospital opened here in 1878 as a convalescent home for children from Liverpool workhouses. The estate was sold to the Lunacy Board of Control in 1914.

It was used as a Military Hospital during WWI to treat shell shocked soldiers. In 1919 it became The Ministry of Pensions Hospital for Soldiers, Military Red Cross Hospital, Moss Side.The building known as Moss Side became a Special Hospital in 1933.

Park Lane Hospital was built on the same site in 1974, but the two units were merged in 1989 and became known as Ashworth Hospital.

Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret