Todmorden Union Workhouse
Originally Todmorden Union Workhouse it became West Riding Public Assistance Institution in 1930. Following the inauguration of the NHS in 1948 it became Fielden Joint Isolation Hospital.
Stansfield View Hospital
Also originated from the Todmorden Union Workhouse it was taken over by the Halifax Hospital Management Committee in 1948 specializing in Mental Handicap.
Todmorden Union comprises the six townships of Todmorden, Heptonstall, Erringden, Langfield, Stansfield and Wadsworth,
It had 29,727 inhabitants in 1851.
As Workhouses, it occupies three small
buildings at Gauxholm, Stansfield & Wadsworth.
Mr James Stansfield is union clerk & supt registrar. The Board of Guardians meet at the Wood Mill Inn.
Source: WHITE'S 1853 CLOTHING DISTRICTS OF YORKSHIRE p.694
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Page last updated 12 March, 2008 by Rossbret