Ashby de la Zouch Union Workhouse
Ashby de la Zouch is a market and Union Town, head of a petty sessional division and county court district, and railway station, and principally consists of one very fine street. It is 20 miles north-west from Leicester by rail, 14 south from Derby, 14 north from Atherstone, 21 south-west from Nottingham and 118 from London by rail. The Leicester and and Burton branch of the Midland Railway runs through, with a branch to Melbourne and Derby, and also a communication with the Trent Valley via Market Bosworth and Nuneaton.
The Board of Guardians meet Saturdays fortnightly. The population in 1891 was 36,368, area 54,091 acres and the rateable value in 1899 £189.836.
The Union comprises the following parishes:- Appleby, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Ashby Woulds, Bardon, Blackfordby, Boundary, Calke, Chilcote, Coalville, Coleorton, Hartshorne, Heather, Hugglescote & Donington, Measham, Netherseal, Normanton-le-Heath, Oakthorpe & Donisthorpe, Osgathorpe, Overseal, Packington, Ravenstone with Snibstone, Smisby, Snareston, Staunton Harold, Stretton, Swannington, Swepstone, Thringston, Ticknall, Whitwick, Willesley, Woodville and Worthington.
|Union Officers in 1899|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||George Farmer|
|Superintendent Registrar||George Farmer|
The Workhouse was erected to hold 300 inmates. In November 1894, a new Infirmary was opened.
|Workhouse Staff 1899|
|John William Brown||Workhouse Master|
|Alfred Orchard||Medical Officer|
|Rev. L. W. Lloyd||Chaplain|
|Amelia Chapman||Workhouse Matron|
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret