Billesdon Union Workhouse
Billesdon is a small union town and parish in a fertile and pleasant valley, on the road from Leicester to Uppingham, 4 miles south-west from Tilton Station on the Great Northern and London and North Western joint railway, 9 miles east from Leicester, and 10 west-by-north from Uppingham.
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Mondays, at the Workhouse at Billesdon, at 10.30am. The population of the Union in 1891 was 6,309 including 73 officers and inmates in the Workhouse, area 52,482 acres and rateable value at Lady Day 1898 was £55,432.
The Billesdon Union comprises the following parishes:- Alexton, Billesdon, Burton Overy, Bushby, Carlton Curlieu, Cold Newton, East Norton, Evington, Frisby, Galby, Glen Magna, Goadby, Great Stretton, Halstead, Houghton-on-the-Hill, Humberstone, Hungarton, Keyham, King's Norton, Little Stretton, Loddington, Lowesby, Marefield, Newton Harcourt, Noseley, Owston, Rolleston, Scraptoff, Skeffington, Stoughton, Thurnby, Tilton, Tugby, Whatborough, Wistow and Withcote.
|Union Officers 1899|
|Clerk to Guardians and Assessment Committee||W. E. Richardson|
|Treasurer||William Unwin Heygate|
|Relieving Officer for the Union||Thomas Kerr Hamby|
|Superintendent Registrar||W. E. Richardson|
The Workhouse, seated on a rising ground on the north side of the Town, is a well arranged building of red brick, holding 100 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff 1899|
|William Wadkin||Workhouse Master|
|Edward Williams||Medical Officer|
|Rev. Charles Rowland Fowke||Chaplain|
|Mrs Emma Wadkin||Workhouse Matron|
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret