Hinckley Union Workhouse
The Board of Guardians meet alternate Mondays at the Union Workhouse, at 10.30am. The population in 1891 was 20,699, area 28,192 acres and rateable value in 1899 £78,664.
The Union comprises the following parishes:- Aston, Higham-on-the-Hill, Hinckley, Flamville, Barwell, Burbage, Earl Shilton, Elmesthorpe, Sapcote, Sharnford, Stoke Golding, Stoney Stanton and Wigston Parva.
|Union Officers 1899|
|Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee||Samuel Preston|
|Treasurer||William Unwin Heygate|
|Relieving and Vaccination Officer||John Powers|
|Superintendent Registrar||Samuel Preston|
The Workhouse, on the London Road, is a building in the Tudor Style and was erected in 1838, at a cost of £4,000. It has room for 400 inmates.
|Workhouse Staff 1899|
|George Saunders||Workhouse Master|
|Mrs Fanny Saunders||Workhouse Matron|
|W. H. Griffiths||Medical Officer|
|Rev. La Grange Leney||Chaplain|
Page updated March 12, 2008 by Rossbret