Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteCaistor


Caistor History

Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteCaistor


Caistor History

Caistor Workhouse

The Union had 34,291 inhabitants in 1851, & extends over 183,164 acres of land. It comprises 76 parishes & townships, & its Workhouse is the altered & enlarged House of Industry, which was erected in 1802, on the west side of the town, for 54 parishes, which were united under Gilbert's Act. It has now room for 260 inmates.
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 669/670
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

Caistor Poor Law Union was declared 23rd November 1836. The Union comprised the Parishes of Atterby, Bigby, Brocklesby, Buslingthorpe, Cabourne, Caistor, Claxby, Clixby, North Coates, Croxby, Cuxwold, Glentham, Grasby, Holton le Moor, Keelby, North Kelsey, South Kelsey, Kingerby, Kirkby cum Osgodby, Kirmond le Mire, Legsby, Great Limber, Linwood, Lissington, Nettleton, Newton by Toft, Normanby le Wold, Bishop Norton, North Owersby, South Owersby, Market Rasen, Middle Rasen, West Rasen, Riby, Rothwell, Searby cum Ownby, Sixhills, Snitterby, Somerby, Stainton le Vale, Swallow, Swinhope, Tealby, Thoresway, Thorganby, Thornton le Moor, Toft next Newton, East Torrington, Usselby, Waddingham, Walesby and North Willingham.

The total average annual expenditure of the 76 parishes during the 3 years preceding the formation of the Union in 1836, was 10,439. Their expenditure in 1838 was 5793; & for the half year ending March 1856, 4628. 
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 669/670
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

The Board of Guardians meet on alternate Saturdays at the Workhouse at 11am.

George Skipworth esq, Chairman
Joseph H Daubney esq, Union clerk & supt.reg
Rev H Maclean, chaplain
Mr Robert Witham, Master
Mrs Jane Sweet, matron of the Workhouse
Robert Birkett, Porter 
Francis & Jane Wilson, Teachers of the schools.
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 669/670
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

A Chapel was erected in 1865 that could hold 200 inmates, which was dedicated to St Lawrence. Further extensions were completed, including new school, Infirmary and fever wards. By 1888 the number of Officers and Staff stood at 200.

Robert Thomas M.A. Chaplain
A. Cameron, Medical Officer
John Thomas Shipley, Master of Workhouse
E. J. Shipley, Matron of Workhouse
Miss Kate Shipley, Assistant Matron
Oliver Harold Holehouse, Schoolmaster
Mrs Louisa King, Schoolmistress
Source: Kelly's Directory 1892

Reorganization following the 1930 Local Government Act led to the buildings being used by the Lincolnshire Joint Board for Mental Defectives. Harmston Hall was the Headquarters, in addition to Caistor, Holbeach and Bourne Institutions. The responsibility for Civil Registration passed to the Local Authority Councils. Caistor Hospital finally closed in 1990, and now only a few of the original buildings survive in a derelict state.

Lincolnshire Archives, St Rumbold Street, Lincoln, LN2 5AB.
The Grimsby records are at the North Lincolnshire Archives in Grimsby.

Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.