Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteBrigg


Link back to main ROSSBRET websiteBrigg


Brigg Union

In 1701, Christopher Benton bequeathed the Chantry House in Barton,  as an almshouse for the poor, but it was converted into a workhouse in
1749, & the overseers afterwards spent about 200 of various charity moneys in enlarging it.
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 692
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

Following the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act Glanford Brigg Union was declared 22nd December 1836.

The Union extends over 165,470 acres of land, & had 33,786 inhabitants in 1851. It comprises 51 parishes & townships for which a Workhouse was erected, in 1837, in Wrawley township, with room for more than 250 inmates, though it had only 138 in 1841, & 218 in 1851, when the census was taken. The total average annual expenditure of the 51 parishes etc, during the 3 years previous to the formation of the Union, was 10,547. In 1838, their expenditure was 7110, but during the half year ending March 1856, it amounted to 6594. 
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 692
Submitted by Betty Longbottom

The Workhouse at the entrance to the Town from Wrawby was erected in 1835, from designs by William Adams Nicholson, architect and was an edifice of white brick with a detached fever ward to accommodate 220 inmates. The Board of Guardians met on alternate Thursdays at 10.45 at the Workhouse for their "Board Day".

Sir Robert Sheffield, Bart, is the chairman
John Hett esq, is the union clerk & supt.reg
Rev J R West, chaplain
Mr George & Mrs Empringham, master & matron of the workhouse.
Source: White Directory 1856 - p 692
Submitted by Betty Longbottom
Roslyn Hett, Clerk to the Guardians and Assessment Committee    
Rev. Philip Henry Brierley M. A. Chaplain
H. Gibson, Master of Workhouse
Mrs Gibson, Matron of Workhouse
Mary Ann Stephens, Schoolmistress
Source: Kelly's Directory
No Master of the Workhouse listed for 1930.                                

The Workhouse developed into Glanford Hospital under the National Health Service, but was eventually closed.

Lincolnshire Archives, St Rumbold Street, Lincoln, LN2 5AB.
The Grimsby records are at the North Lincolnshire Archives in Grimsby.

Page updated March 12, 2008
Copyright Rossbret 1999-2002. All rights reserved.